Commonly Treated Conditions
What is Ultrasound?
Ultrasound is simply high-frequency sound waves above the range that we can hear. It is applied to the body from the ‘head' of an ultrasound machine. A gel is used to help the waves travel into the body rather than be reflected off the skin.
What are the benefits of ultrasound?
- Increased blood supply which promotes healing.
- Produces a pain killing effect which can reduce muscle spasm, and promote normal function,
- Softens fibrous tissues and scar tissue which are formed during healing.
How is it used?
- The specialist will apply a little gel to the skin and place the head of the ultrasound machine on the skin. Usually, it will be moved in small circles. Treatment time can vary according to the injury but is usually about a few minutes.
- Ultrasound can be applied in two modes, pulse and continuous. With continuous, the beam heats the tissues. Pulsed means the waves go in short pulses which prevents the tissues from heating
Do you require an appointment?
Would like to book an appointment with a Chiropodist to discuss your Foot and Ankle issues? If so, click this button to complete our appointment request form.